Re-upholstering an old but loved Vanity Chair!
I recently re-upholstered an old vanity chair that had been redone at least 3 other times, so I gave it a 4th life. I don’t know what it looked like in its first life, that had all been stripped away. But in its second life it had a blue top and a white skirt. Now that I think on it, the blue top might have been original, and they took the old skirt off and replaced it with the white. Not quite sure why!
But that is not the condition I found it in. I found it like this.
Someone had made a slipcover for it. Also the seat cushion was looking a little worse for wear, and also didn’t quite fit the seat area.
They had put in a zipper in the back.
And then you might ask yourself, how did they make the channels for a slipcover? Well, they sewed in the channels, and then they –
Sewed it to the chair, to hold it in place.
So I stripped it all the way down, it was on a swivel base, that was very unattractive and the client basically wanted the same style, so I just recreated it.
I also made a completely new seat cushion to better fit the chair.
I used 3/8″ welt instead of the normal 1/4″
And this Channel back wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I had never done a channel back chair before, so I was a little apprehensive about it.
The client wanted the double skirt, which adds a little bit of whimsy to it.
All in all I thought it came out pretty good!
Once again, thanks for stopping by and don’t forget to subscribe to my blog! 🙂